We’veall seen the amazing transformations of Regular Joe carports, garages and metal buildings on home improvement shows like the DIY Network’s “Man Caves,” featuring home improvement pros fixing up homes and garages just like yours. Think a beautiful enclosed carport, garage or metal building floor is too much for you to handle? Not at all! Epoxy flooring mixes, available online or at your local hardware store, make a showroom-quality floor easy. If you plan to use your new or renovated Carport Empire structure as a recreational room, kids’ playroom, office, workshop or your very own man cave, follow these steps for a new floor that will be the envy of your neighborhood.
1. Clean and etch your enclosed carport, garage or metal building concrete floor, beginning with a through sweeping and a garden hose wash. Use a concentrated concrete cleaner with a pressure washer or garden hose nozzle with a tight spray pattern.
2. Prepare the surface of your concrete floor with an acid etching or mechanical grinder. Many epoxy floor kits come with an etching or acid wash kit. Follow the instructions to help open the pores of the floor and remove all dirt, oil and other residues, allowing for maximum adhesion. If your concrete floor was previously painted or sealed, use a concrete floor grinder to remove all covering.
3. Thoroughly mix the epoxy paint and epoxy hardener per instructions, then wait about three minutes to allow the mixture to allow the chemicals time to react and fully blend. Use a paint brush to form a border, then a paint roller to apply the epoxy paint to the entire floor.
4. As you go, sprinkle color chips all across the floor while the epoxy paint is still wet. Allow 12 to 24 hours for drying.
5. Mix the epoxy hardener and clear top coat, then roll the mixture over the entire floor just as you did the paint mixture. Allow 72 hours for drying before you walk or drive onto the floor.
6. Invite your friends over and show off your gorgeous new enclosed carport, garage or metal building floor.
It’s that easy! No need to call in the professionals. When you apply epoxy flooring, your enclosed carport, garage or metal building floor will not only look beautiful, but resist common stains such as automotive fluids and paint. Spilled liquids simply bead up and your epoxy floor wipes up as easily as your kitchen counter does. And when you decide to sell your home, your beautifully floored carport, garage or metal building is sure to boost your property’s resale value.